Traver REALbasic for Windows: The Blog

REALbasic discussion and programs specifically for Windows (and some discussion of differences between REALbasic and Visual Basic).

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

CollectClips: A Windows Clipboard Utility

Whenever one copies an item of text to the Windows clipboard, ordinarily the new item replaces what was there earlier. But suppose you want to "collect the clips," so to speak?

My CollectClips utility is a simple way to do that. I put it together when I was using a scanner to scan text and the associated OCR program copied the related text to the Windows clipboard. Since I didn't want to bother with pasting the copied text in the Windows clipboard to some safe place each time before I did a new scan, I decided to write this utility.

There are no especially impressive "tricks" here. I do use a Timer to accomplish my purpose, so the program does provide an example of one way in which the Timer may be useful, but that's about it.

The program works automatically. The only things you need to do are to start up CollectClips when you want to start saving things from the Windows clipboard and to use the File menu to Save As Text the collected clips before you Exit from the CollectClips program.

Here's where you can find the source code for the program (Collect2Clips.zip):

http://traver.org/traverrbw

Feel free to improve upon the program (but please send me a copy of the improved result). Enjoy!

Barry Traver

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home